I found this recipe a while ago while cruising through Pinterest's vortex of recipes/DIY projects/make-up tutorials. Have you noticed how quickly a Pinterest search for 'best chocolate chip cookie' turns into a search for 'DIY home improvement'. I've created a fair number of tasteless recipes and botched wall art (#nailedit).
Anyways, before my Pinterest searching took said turn for the worst I fell upon this golden oatmeal recipe. I have made it countless times. It has never failed me.
I was not kidding you when I said I've made this recipe countless times. This oatmeal is a definite upgrade from the flavourless goop you ate as a kid.
So, without further ado....
The BEST Oatmeal
- 1 cup milk (cow, almond, coconut etc.)
- 1/2 cup dry oats
- 1 -3 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Topping ideas: blueberries, banana, apples, pecans, shredded coconut, raisins
- Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small pot. Make sure you stir frequently to avoid burning the milk.
- Once the milk comes to a light boil, add the oats. Immediately start a 3 minute timer.
- I continue to stir throughout the 3 minutes. The oat/milk mixture will become increasingly thicker. I sometimes find 2 minutes sufficient. Remove from heat.
- Add maple syrup, chia seeds and vanilla extract. The mixture will continue to thicken once chia seeds have been added.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into a serving bowl and add your favorite toppings.
It's that easy!
Hope you enjoy!