I figured it was about time that I make a workout for all of you. I'm perhaps coming out with a bit of a bang, but that's sort of my style. This workout consists of 450 reps.
"Are you crazy?"
Funny you ask. I have even asked myself that a couple of times while working out. I once had a stranger tell me I was the hardest working person in the gym (although they perhaps meant 'nuttiest') and that might be the best compliment I've ever received. Welcome to my kinda' crazy!
A 450 rep workout isn't a new concept. There are plenty of variations of this all over the internet. If you frequent bootcamps you've likely seen something like this. So, I'm not the only crazy person out there. ;)
How It Works
3 exercises completed back to back with the following rep count:
In other words, complete 50 reps of each exercise (A, B and C) in a row. You will then repeat this rep scheme for 40 reps, 30 reps, 20 reps and finally 10 reps.
I recommend that you complete these workouts MAX once a week. It is high volume and would be best paired with some different styles of training to allow your nervous system to recuperate
Do the exercises with good form and without rest. My clients will laugh at this because when I say to them "goal is no rest"…they know that what I really mean is "rest when you're dying". You want to continue through the reps and pause only when your form is giving way. At that point you'll need to'walk it off', 'shake it out' and 'catch your breath', BUT you do not stop. This workout may just be as much of a mental test as it is a physical test. One rep after another. Know that you'll get there.
Benefits Of This Workout
- Muscle endurance - When you're working out with this high of a rep range know that this is not strength or power training. You will be improving your muscular stamina meaning you are improving your body's ability to do an activity for an extended period of time.
- Cardiovascular conditioning - You will be out of breathe during this workout. Your heart is working to pump blood to your muscles and lungs.
- Time efficient - This workout will take you approximately 20 minutes. If it's only 15 minutes than you need to increase the weights that you are using.
If you have not been consistently working out for the past 3 months then you need to modify the number of reps that you're going to go be doing. 450 reps will leave you limping for days! Instead, modify the reps to: 30-20-10
After the Workout
- Stretch! Take 10 minutes to hold different stretches for 30 seconds each. Don't skip this step. This type of workout can leave you feeling very tight the next day.
- Drink plenty of water. You need to hydrate and replenish the fluids that you've lost.
- Refuel. Consume a protein and carbohydrate source to replenish your glycogen reserves and help your muscles recover.
Let me know how this workout goes for you!
As always, feel free to comment and give me your feedback.